Sunday 2 June 2013

My First Brush with Danger


Small and peculiar, I was content in my own company.
Introvert and singular, even I failed to notice me.

At the troublesome age of sixteen I attracted a gaze or two. The clothes became peculiar and singular, while I remained small and introvert. I should have been a worry for all concerned yet no one noticed me at all.

In a small town, as introverted as myself, I carved a me sized shape. My outgoing confidence betrayed my inward awkwardness. My two large brothers protected my cool innocence. But that couldn’t last forever.

Pubs, pubs and more pubs. What else is a girl to do? I smoked and drank like a man, dressed like a wood nymph, froze people out. Until I met the dad of a man who was a friend of a friend. I liked that friend. I thought he was cool.

A drunken night, no words exchanged just gazes. “You confuse me,” said my friend. “You have no idea what you do to men.” Hmm, and I downed my pint and rolled another. Cold and indifferent, I shrugged. The dad of the friend (who I thought was cool), said,
“Your face is exquisite. I would like to photograph you.”
“All right,” said I and got into his car.

We head out of town, this dad and I, the friend (his son) in the back with me.
We pull up to a barn, a converted barn and I’m not as impressed as I should be.

I remember little else, I was quietly drunk, though I do recall the light switch.
It was on the wrong side of the wall and it mattered to me. Much more than what could’ve happened next.

I woke up the next day, in my bed in my house with my mum making breakfast downstairs.
My recollection was vague but I knew I’d been good, my friend had been there the whole time. For months subsequent I would ask this chap, “Are the pictures done yet, are they okay?” He'd smile and look kind of sheepish.
Finally, I asked and, finally, he said, 
“Lisa, they are the pictures of a quiet beauty taken by a lecherous, drunken old bastard.” He stopped short of adding, “Who, if I hadn’t have been there, would’ve taken full advantage of your own insobriety.” 

That friend of mine remained confused about me but I became wiser that night. 
For dirty old men are there throughout life but to get into one’s car is not right.




©Lisa Lee 2013, sleeping in Elvegren Life

No comments:

Post a Comment