Tuesday 13 March 2012

And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave


  I am a die-hard Nick Cave fan and not just because of his heart-wrenching rawness. He is an astonishing lyricist, taking you to places tender, soulful and heart breaking or cruel, twisted and terrifying. With this well honed skill, is it any wonder that he’s an author for the intelligent and, dare I say it, a modern day classic?

  ‘And the Ass Saw the Angel’ is, from start to finish, relentless, relentlessly grim, sordid, sad, tragic. With its biblical feel and characters so flawed that they could spawn a book in themselves, it isn’t an easy read. I often felt as if I was dodging Cave’s inventive adjectives like bullets coming out of the page, yet I was inexplicably drawn back for more.

  That said, I was not sorry to finish it; I was damn near breathless by the end and was relieved to catch my breath back. Fantastic!



©Lisa Lee 2012 Sleeping in Elvegren Reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment