Monday 26 March 2012

What She Said, What He Said.


As they climbed into the newly changed bed, the smell of ironed cotton filled her nose.
“I love the smell of fresh sheets!” she said.
“Me too.” He laid out his right arm so she could snuggle up next to him. She did and he held her tightly.
“My hair looks cool doesn’t it?” She looks up into his pool-like eyes.
“Yeah. It’s very red.”
“It’ll be redder next time. Although this time was a happy accident.”
“Really?”
“Well, Karen wasn’t there today so Jen did it. But my usual colour wasn’t there either…”
“What, did Karen take it with her?” he laughed.
“No, of course not! No, but they had the one above it? It’s the same but has an ‘I’ next to it’s number.”
“So,” he asks, ‘what does the ‘I’ stand for?”
“I think it’s ‘intensive’. Or ‘interesting’!” She laughs, sits up and hugs her knees. “It does look lovely though?” He smiles. She loves how he bites his bottom lip when he does so. She loves how his eyes flash as they squint ever so slightly. But mostly she just loves him, bones and all.
Tracing a finger along her nose, she says, “You know I have a fairy nose?” He laughs. “No, really! You see how it’s like a ski slope?”
“Sort of, yeah.” He has to pull his head back to get a better view.
“Fairies from miles around come to my nose for their winter holidays. They don their tiny, weenie skis, stick their cocktail-stick size stick things either side and whoosh!! Off they go! Little bastards.”
“Why are they?”
“Why are they what? Little bastards?”
“Yeah!”
“Well, if they paid the going rate for a ski holiday, I could get this bloody awful nose put right!”
He kisses her turned-up nose. “I love your nose.”
She closes her eyes, smiles. “Good job then.”


©Lisa Lee 2012, sleeping in Elvegren Life

No comments:

Post a Comment