Thursday 15 March 2012

The Possession of Mr Cave by Matt Haig

  First things first, this has an excellent cover, very intelligent looking and that is why I chose it! Yes, I judged this book, as I have so many times, on it’s cover and I was right to.

  It starts slowly but explosively, the fallout from Reuben’s tragic death seeping into your bones, Terence, the father, left bereft with the near perfect twin, Bryony. The pace quickens somewhat as the relationship between them spirals out of control as he becomes increasingly possessive of his daughter and then, later, possessed by the spirit of his son.

  Haig writes the part of Bryony perfectly, a typical teenage girl rebellious and self obsessed, railing against her father. Terence, too, is keenly observed as the guilt-ridden dad who has to come to terms with his treatment of Reuben whilst he was alive along with the violent death of his wife.

  Now, I know this sounds bleak and a parent’s worse nightmare but actually, it’s not. I have two sons and at the time of reading my youngest was the same age as Reuben yet, strangely, it didn’t relate at all. I cannot explain why, maybe it’s because it’s in the first person and so remains exclusively Terence’s story. I’m not sure and I certainly wouldn’t want to speak for everyone else.

For a more in depth review, please read  John Burnside for The Guardian




©Lisa Lee 2012 Sleeping in Elvegren Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment