Sunday 5 January 2014

It's All Over


That's it then, Christmas, 2013 is over. I know this because not only has all the crap, beige food gone but so has my youngest son. Back to Guildford and his alternative life of not enough food, more than enough alcohol, university lectures and freedom from his mother. 



I always believed that Christmas was about small children. It's something that is often said, isn't it, 'Christmas is for the children'. But that sort of implies that couples who choose not to have kids, by definition, are missing out. Well, we proved last year that that just isn't the case. I loved last Christmas so much that I was determined to achieve the same this year (last year, you know what I mean). Now our boys are adults, there's no 7am wake up call, no squealing, shouting and then the inevitable tears and (over-tired) tantrums. Everything is very civilised. We all gradually emerge. I cook a very adult breakfast of eggs and salmon or bacon. We open the Bucks Fizz and toast the day. Then, once we all have our second cup of tea, we start on the presents. Nobody rushes, everybody waits. It's the very epitome of relaxed. Last year was the first time it occurred to me that this was the kind of Christmas my brother and his wife enjoyed most years. Like a bolt out of the blue I thought, 'Hang on, it's not them that's been missing out. It's us! This is cool!!'

Boxing day brought the family together. My nephew provided the children; Grace, who is 4, Jack who's 10 (ish) and Cam, 15 (ish). Now, Grace was the child we all talk about at Christmas. Whimsical, funny, excited and full of wonder. She played for ages with my dolls house, she chatted endlessly about her presents. She did remind me of Christmases past, when Harry and Gabe would almost burst with excitement at the sight of their presents, take delight in the smallest effort made by anyone to include them in party games. But then I looked at Cam and Jack. They were brilliant, of course, but that was largely due to Harry providing them with an XBox to play on! Watching them reminded me of even more Christmases past and I felt a pang of sympathy for my nephew and his wife. You see, once they get to the age where they no longer believe in the jolly red-suited man and they know that it's down to mum and dad having enough money whether they get their desired gift or not, things change. It's sad! Sad because that day seems to arrive earlier and earlier now and because there are too many years between the age of wonderment and the age of legally being able to consume alcohol. Too many years of uncomfortable family visits and sulky poses for pictures. I do have to say again, though, Cam and Jack are not like this. Yet. 


So this year (or last year...) was an eye opener then. Not only because I got to see the three ages of childhood at Christmas but because I also fulfilled that other tradition; family get togethers. Firstly, Gabe had to get to us from Guildford. I experienced all the motherly feelings and deep joy at seeing him all matured and confident. Then, today I completed that circle by hugging him goodbye, experiencing all the motherly feelings of pride and sadness. Knowing that Easter will be here soon and his return. Also , I got to do the mother of all get togethers; everyone at mine for Boxing Day! It was fabulous. Grown up, with a hint of wonderment - Perfect really. Happy New Year. Or Old Year. Oh, you know what I mean.



©Lisa Lee, 2014, sleeping in Elvegren Life

No comments:

Post a Comment