Saturday 4 January 2014

The egg and Horse +Bamboo present Tove Jansson’s Moominland Midwinter


Now, it is fair to say that I am one of The egg theatre’s biggest fans; from their always ‘left of centre’ productions to the amount of creativity and effort they put into Bath’s school children, they never fail to impress. So it was with proper excitement (and no trepidation) that the husband and I took our seats on the balcony for this telling of a wonderfully eccentric tale.



Moomintroll was a firm favourite in my childhood and has definitely enjoyed a new popularity in recent years with a new generation. In fact, it’s more popular than ever if all the merchandise is anything to go by! As I looked over from my seat I couldn’t fail to notice the little girl cuddling her Moominpapa and Moominmama dolls, wearing her Moomintroll dress.

“Look, you can see Moomintroll’s ears! There, see, see?”


One of the things The egg has over the main house is its intimacy. Before the play had started, children had already noticed the ears of the three Moomin puppets in their bed, my husband spotted the teapot, floating over-head. When we finally met the stars (expertly operated by the Horse + Bamboo Puppet Company), they were already in our hearts and very much alive. We watched as Moomintroll overcame his anxieties about being alone with the help of a new friend, Too-Ticky and his magical Shrews who are so shy they are invisible. Little My was an audience winner as the voice of mischief and mayhem was brought to us in the form of the Hemulen, skier extraordinaire. The Groke (a creature of ‘wet misery who just looks’) was especially impressive, dwarfed only by the ethereal Lady of the Cold. But it was the little absent minded squirrel with the fantastic tail that really stole the show, at least that’s what the two children next to me said.




For me though, the triumph of this unique Christmas production was the scenery and the incredible animation as the back-drop. Along with the magical music score, this quirky, thoughtful production captured my imagination and beguiled every child in the auditorium. I especially noticed the little girl hug her Moomin dolls tighter as her mum fastened up her Moomin bobble hat. And my husband bought me a Moomin mug.



Moominland Midwinter is on at The egg until January, 12th 2014. Book now and let a little beauty into your hearts.





©Lisa Lee 2014, sleeping in Elvegren Reviews



2 comments:

  1. I will have to see if the moomins are here! Miss A would love! Thanks for the story and whisking me into the theatre. I could almost smell it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are beautiful, simply illustrated and really thought provoking tales. When Moomintroll wakes up mid-hibernation, he doesn't understand where the sun has gone. Then he learns that all the creatures that prefer not to be seen or just don't fit in normally only inhabit Moominland in Midwinter. It's a little nod to all the shy ones out there, a little encouragement for them to step forward once in a while! xxx

      Delete