Wednesday 8 January 2014

NURL


In a land of cats,
Far, far away,
There stands the angophora tree,
Where the kobold flits
From leaf to leaf,
Salchows from branch to higher branch,
Whispering her ancient plea:

“Oh almighty Nurl, I ask of thee,
Show me the sphendrone of this tree!
For these tresses of mine,
So gold and fine,
Are alas, too wild and free!”

A clowder of cats,
On this cold day,
Observed the King's own jabberknowl,
‘Twas a sight to see,
The gunsel here,
Moved by our kobold’s earnest words,
He offers his Nurlish soul:

“Oh what kind of mana is this, pray,
That I see before me today?
The angophora there,
Holds a maiden fair,
For my Nurlish heart to slay!”

The mew of the cats,
Did not once stay,
The himbo’s now much heightened lust,
As their eyes first met,
Hers first, then his,
For a moment she thought it Him,
“A Nurl? Oh surely it must!”

“Oh sweet thing I implore you be,
Mine forever then you will see,
What a love I can give,
If you’d only live,
In the King’s castle with me!”

The eyes of the cats,
Fixed their wry gaze,
Trying to see her intentions
She looked at our chap,
Ozena filled nose,
Knew then this was doomed and did cry,
“A fico to your attentions!”







©Lisa Lee, 2014, sleeping in Elvegren Tales. Illustration ©Belinda Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment